Oh my goodness, I don’t think I’ve ever milked a summer break like I did the 2017-18 period. We legged it out of the office the week before Christmas and we’re only just finally returning. But we’re feeling fresh and fabulous, and ready to live the shit out of this year!
I hope you are too.
First thing we wanted to share is some stuff we’ve been loving while we’ve been sipping cocktails by the pool.
1. Rosé – ahhhhh, the feel good drink of the summer! We’ve been sipping on rosé quite a lot over the break and we’re massive fans of the pink stuff. Bonus points if it’s a beautiful pale pink – or almost transparent orange. Some of our favourites include Mr Mick, Villa Wolf, De Bortoli La Boheme Act Two, and Fleurs de Prairie.
2. The Sinner – if you have Netflix and haven’t watched The Sinner yet, get onto it straight away! It’s super tense but the most compelling drama I’ve seen for ages. I binged it over the holidays, and it was on everybody’s best of 2017 list. Jessica Biel is incredible, Bill Pullman is back from wherever he’s been for the past 20 years and he’s awesome, and it will keep you guessing – and freaking out a bit – right to the end. And I promise you, there are some scenes in there that will have you shaking whoever you’re with and saying, “WHAT THE FUCKING ACTUAL??”
3. Skin Boss – the gorgeous Kirsten from Skin Boss gave me some of her products to try late last year, and I am totally hooked! Kirsten and her husband Scott developed these amazing products after her skin became dehydrated while she was battling illness. I have dry and sensitive skin, and these natural products are honestly the best thing I’ve found. I’m using the face and body oils. If you want to try one to start with, I’d recommend the Sleep On It night face oil. It’s scented with lavender and is such a wonderful ritual to send you off to dreamy-bye-bye land.
4. The Dry by Jane Harper – Gillian and I read this page-turner while we were on holidays. It’s a super-compelling crime thriller by this debut Aussie author, set in rural NSW – you can almost taste the drought in the back of your throat as you’re reading it. Jane’s follow up Force of Nature is also excellent – although it’s made me slightly more nervous about bushwalking than I used to be…
5. Turmeric – I’ve known for a long time turmeric is great for heaps of things like gut health and inflammation. As an IBS sufferer, I’m always looking for clever ways to get more turmeric into me that doesn’t just involve smashing great big dry teaspoons of the stuff down my gullet. Two of my current favourites are:
Turmerix – a fab blend of spices including turmeric, cinnamon, green tea, liquorice, kelp, aniseed, caraway and ginger – I throw it into curries, stir fries and scrambled eggs, and sometimes if I’m feeling super fruity I’ll make a turmeric latte
Woolworth’s Macro Fire Cider – I start every day with a shot of this little guy – it’s a mix of apple cider vinegar, ginger, salt, turmeric, horseradish, chilli and garlic – a sure way to let yourself know you’re alive at 6am! You can also add it to sparkling water to make a delish beverage (I’m wondering if it would be wrong to add a slug of gin??)
So we’re easing into 2018 with a nice balance of fun and health, because it’s all about balance, right?