Christmas is a crazy time that, let’s face it, is all about the children. Their little faces light up at the idea of Santa and presents and more presents. It’s fun and it’s stressful. We often indulge in a bit of extra food and a bit of extra cheer (code for booze), and can tend to burn ourselves out trying to get everything ready for the big day.
Loads of mums I know tie themselves in knots in an attempt to make the time magical for their kids. There’s nothing wrong with that but my message to you is this: please, please, please look after yourself. Find a way to remind yourself that you’re important too. Here are a few ideas:
- Sneak outside while the children are playing with their new EVERYTHING to have a cup of green tea in the sun on Christmas morning. Bah, it’s Christmas, a glass of champagne is perfectly acceptable.
- Paint your toenails red on Christmas Eve.
- On Boxing Day, leave the kids with whomever will have them and go for a walk in the bush/along the beach. Connect with nature while all the crazy mofos out there are bashing each other up at the sales.
- Buy yourself a nice bottle of champagne and don’t share it with anyone.
- After you put the kids to bed on Christmas night, sit outside and listen to the crickets, and congratulate yourself on all you’ve done to give to others this year. With the drink of your choice, obviously. Foot massage from partner (if you have one) is totally optional.
- Sit down and write down a few things you’d like to achieve in 2014. Then write a plan on how you will achieve it, and involve others to help you get there.
Champagne Cartel will be on holidays now until Thursday 2 January. I’ll be around on Facebook and Twitter but the blog is having a well-deserved rest. From all of us here, have a safe and beautiful Christmas. Enjoy your family and be awesome to yourself, you gorgeous specimen, you.