Only a few people are lucky enough to be able to keep knocking back cocktail after cocktail and not have to suffer with a hangover the following day. The rest of us are only too familiar with the symptoms: a pounding headache, extreme thirst and spontaneous bursts of nausea. All you want to do when you’re in that state is turn up the blinds, put on an eye mask and spend the entire day in bed!
There are many factors that contribute to a hangover, but the two major ones are dehydration and loss of electrolytes. When you drink alcohol, you also use the bathroom a lot, and by doing so, your body ends up losing water and vital salts.
Those who suffer from hangovers also have their favourite methods of curing them. You may have heard of the “hair of the dog”, which simply requires you to continue drinking the following morning. More alcohol, woohoo! This may certainly help to relieve the symptoms temporarily, but when does it stop? Are you going to carry on drinking forever?
Another mythical cure is eating a greasy meal. The thinking behind this is that greasy food will slow down the absorption of alcohol. The only problem is that when you have a hangover, all of the alcohol has already been absorbed. Greasy food may also not be the most ideal option if you are feeling nauseous.
What you should have instead is a non-alcoholic nutrient rich smoothie.
Today’s smoothie recipe is great for curing a hangover. It is made from all natural ingredients and is specially formulated to get you back in tip top shape. And because it is already in liquid form, your stomach won’t have to do too much work in order to digest it.
The hangover curing smoothie
- 1 cup of coconut water – this is hands down one of the best liquids to drink when you have a hangover. It is extremely hydrating and is rich in electrolytes such as potassium and magnesium. Fresh coconut water would be the best option, but if this isn’t available, bottled versions are great as well.
- 1 small piece of ginger – your liver is the organ that suffers the most when you drink. This is because it is responsible for breaking down alcohol, and too much can overburden it. Various scientific studies have found that ginger helps to protect the liver.
- 1/2 a frozen banana, 1/2 a pear and 1 Medjool date – the fructose in these fruits will help to get your blood sugar to normal levels. They are also rich in various vitamins and minerals including vitamin B, vitamin C, potassium and manganese, which will help your body recover faster.
- 1 cup of spinach – this green vegetable is one of the healthiest foods on the planet and contains more vitamin K in a one cup serving than what you need in a day. Besides that, it is made up of more than 90% water, which helps to further hydrate you. It is recommended that you use equal portions of fruits & vegetables when preparing smoothies, and because spinach has such a mild flavour, it works very well.
- 5 almonds and 1 tablespoon of chia seeds – nuts & seeds contain protein and healthy fats. You have a wide variety to choose from, including Brazil nuts, walnuts, pecans, pumpkin seeds, flax seeds and sunflower seeds.
- 1 teaspoon of honey (optional) – in most cases, the fruit in this smoothie will be enough to make it sweet enough. However if you need some extra sugar, add in a teaspoon of honey.
Preparing this smoothie couldn’t be simpler. Just blend all of the ingredients together for roughly 20 seconds and pour into a glass. If you don’t already have one, you can find a smoothie blender here.
Now rest, recover and Netflix!