Yes, wine ice cream is a thing – and you can have a batch ready at your place in just a few hours. It’s super easy, and you don’t even need an ice cream maker.
The best thing about using wine as a key ingredient is that it gives your dessert a rich, slightly alcoholic flavour. Super decadent and sure to be a crowd pleaser! (Advanced tip: keep away from the kids.)
How to make wine ice cream
The recipe doesn’t call for any particular type of wine, so feel free to use either a red or white one. A wine that has a strong fruity flavour is great because it will blend in well with the berries used in the recipe. To keep things nice and cool, use chilled wine, so you can either chill a bottle in an ice bucket beforehand or grab one from your wine freezer.
- 1 cup wine
- 1 cup mixed berries (such as blueberries, raspberries and blackberries)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups cold, heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons dry milk powder
- 2 tablespoons cornflour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence (or the seeds from one vanilla pod)
- Pour the cream into a big mixing bowl and, using a hand mixer, whip it thoroughly until it has a nice fluffy texture.
- In another bowl, add the wine, sugar, milk powder, corn starch, salt and vanilla. Combine everything well, until you are left with a homogenous mixture.
- Add this mixture and the berries to the whipped cream. Once again combine everything so that all of the ingredients are evenly mixed.
- Then all you need to do is pour the mixture into a container and leave it in your freezer overnight. Depending on your freezer, you may be able to do this in the morning and then serve it at a dinner party that night, but you might want to test out this timing before relying on it.
This ice cream is a hit at parties and get togethers, so make sure you prepare enough of it because I guarantee one scoop per person simply won’t cut it!