Women’s media has been going through some big changes lately. We’ve seen old favourites like Cleo shut down. And online publications like Mamamia – which are hugely popular but highly divisive – seem to please some and upset others.
The movement is away from the corporate media players with their sensational headlines and click-baiting. What we have been gagging for – and we’re hoping a lot of you have too – is smart women sharing awesome stuff they’ve learned and finding a way to connect with like-minded souls. We see those communities out there, and they’re growing stronger every day.
We’re excited to be among them, and we’re chuffed about our role in connecting some amazing writers with people that would love to hear what they have to say.
We think this change is a great thing. For years, women’s publications have preyed on our insecurities:
Here’s how to look younger (because old people are ugly).
Here’s how to get thinner (because if you’re fat you’re worthless).
Here’s how to give the perfect blowie so guys will like you (ha ha ha, shit).
Here’s the thing we hate about that. It’s all coming from a place of lack. You’re not good enough and you need us to help you be better. Fuck that shit. You’re ace. You are enough. We want you to believe that and live the life you want: a life of joy and kicking serious goals that make you feel like the glorious ladyhuman you are.
So we’ve started a Cartel of awesome women who are willing to stand up and take what’s theirs. To say, “I deserve to be happy. I deserve to prioritise my own health and wellbeing. I will make that rewarding career happen and still keep my social and family lives crack-a-lacking. I’m going to buy those motherfucking sparkly shoes because I like them and I don’t have to justify that to anyone.”
And we want all the ladies to join us in this Cartel of awesome. That means you!
Here’s what we stand for at Champagne Cartel:
- We believe you get one life, and our job is to live that thing hard and not die wondering.
- We believe in taking care of our bodies with great food and exercise so they will be strong and help us achieve all the cool stuff we want to do.
- We believe in sometimes choosing the cake. Because balance is queen and zealotry makes you no fun at parties.
- We believe in having fun with beauty and fashion, wearing all the colours, and that ‘age appropriate’ is a term made up my miserable fuckers who don’t want us to feel good about ourselves.
- We believe in building other women up, not competing with them. There is enough fuck yes in the world to go around, and it’s way more fun with girlfriends.
- We believe in getting shit done. Not everything is unicorns and lollipops, but you can choose to face things head on and deal with them, or you make yourself miserable. We prefer the former.
- We believe in asking for help when we need it, because we all need it sometimes. And we all love to provide it when we can, right? That shit creates a supportive network and life is so much easier when you have The Network.
- We believe in taking responsibility for making our own lives awesome. Being a martyr might get you a sainthood eventually, but it sure is a craptacular way to live.
- We believe that great lipstick and a glass of French Champagne can cure all manner of ills, and make any day into an occasion.
- We believe in doing something every day that makes us say, ‘fuck yes!’
This is us. We’re glad – and, I won’t lie, hugely relieved – to finally be able to welcome you to our new publication and invite you to have a look around.
We have a truly remarkable group of writers who have much ladylove, ladywisdom and ladylaughs to share with you.
Want to live a fuck yes life with us? Join the Cartel!